Physics/Instantaneous velocity

Question
Hello,
Concerning the concept of instantaneous velocity, for example when the velocity of a body moving in a simple harmonic motion reaches zero at the maxiumum displacement from the equilibrium position does it come to rest for zero time or for infinitesmally short time?
and is there a mathematical proof for your answer ?
Thanks in advance

Answer
Well, it's "infinitesimally short," which is essentially zero.  Your question results in a fundamental problem for physics, as we have not been able to probe whether or not the Planck time is the shortest possible unit of time and have no chance to do so experimentally.  They're practically equivalent, but there's no good way to mathematically answer your question.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson