Physics/Plotting graphs in 2nd,3rd & 4th quadrant.

Question
Dear Prof Steve

Can there be examples of plotting line graphs, bargraphs in 2nd,3rd & 4th quadrant of coordinate system?

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Hello Prashant,

Yes, there are many examples. My examples come from my electrical background.

Consider plotting current through a resistor against voltage across it. If the current through a resistor is positive, the voltage across it will be positive; putting a line plotting that relationship in the 1st quadrant. If the current through a resistor is negative, the voltage across it will be negative; putting a line plotting that relationship in the 3rd quadrant. If you plot current/voltage measurements of both descriptions, the plot will use 2 quadrants.

Go to http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/alternating-current/chpt-12/frequency-a
Scroll down about halfway to where you find drawings of Oscilloscope traces. In those drawings, the center of the screen represents the location Voltage=0 and Current=0. The first image is like the plot that would be produced by the situation I described above. Most of the drawings that come next all use all 4 quadrants. The website is plotting 2 related voltages, so it is created by a different situation from what I described above, but they apply to your question.

I hope this helps,
Steve

Physics

Steve Johnson