Physics/Sky-Color

Question
Sir,
As a boy, I am told that a red sky at night is a shepherd's delight. A red sky in the morning is a Shepherd's warning..is this true..what is the Physics behind it?

Tq.

Answer
This is a question for a meteorologist than a physicist.  Red skies due to the setting or rising sun can help indicate that the sky over that horizon is clear of cloud cover, since the sunlight will have more atmosphere to travel through and get filtered down to a red color.  That would indicate that   That's about all the meteorology I know of it. You can read more here: https://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/weather-sailor.html

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson