Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/1916 Milner Upright Player Piano-History?

Mike R. wrote at 2014-04-01 12:39:20
I bought a Milner upright piano at a thrift store about a year ago in Alabama. Except for the fact that yours is a player piano, mine looks just like yours. I would not be surprised to find that mine was originally a player piano which had been converted.

All I can find on the Milner brand is that a Milner Music Co. used to be located at 25-27 W. 6th St. in Cincinnati, OH. Apparently Milner was bought by Wurlitzer at some point. I believe Milner was in fact its own company prior to around 1917 but not necessarily that Milner actually manufactured pianos. An old advertisement I found on the Internet indicates that Milner was more of a music retailer which sold all sorts of instruments and sheet music or music rolls. Milner branded pianos may have been manufactured by any of a surprisingly large number of piano makers in that part of the country around the turn of the Century, to include Wurlitzer and Baldwin. Unfortunately, that's all I can find.  

Dominic Bullamac wrote at 2014-11-17 08:48:35
Hello. I have just read the questions re 1916 Milner Player piano etc--only four years late! I have owned two Milner & Thompson pianos, and still have one of them. There was a music shop in Christchurch, new Zealand several years ago, named Milner & Thompson, and they had pianos made for them by the Haake factory in Germany, and sold them under the Milner & Thompson brand. This was a common practice in former days, I believe. Milner & Thompson pianos are not exactly that rare here in NZ. There may be no connection between Milner pianos and the Christchurch music shop. That is about all I can contribute, other than it may be worth trying Begg's music store in Christchurch, NZ. They have been around a long time in NZ, and may know something about any connection. Kind regards, Dominic Bullamac

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Todd Lindeblad

How to find out the year a piano was built. How to locate the serial number on a piano. What is the value of a piano. Is a vintage piano worth restoring. What work is needed to be done to fix a piano. Additional information, diagrams, and restoration tours on pianos can be found at:

Fourth generation piano restorer. Since 1920 my family has specialized in the restoration and sale of vintage pianos. My only occupation has been restoring and selling pianos.

Better Business Bureau

Montclair State University - Double Major in Business Management and Marketing and Double Minor in Classics & Greek

Stephen Colbert, Justin Rose, Stanford University, Roanoke Civic Center, City of Sacremento