Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Behning & Sons Piano

Mandy wrote at 2013-03-31 05:30:59
Hnguys, I have a behing and sons piano too, very similar to yours but mine is more of a golden oak color and has a serial number of 36309 I was wondering year it was made and where it was made and if the keys are real ivory and ebony, thank you!

prince wrote at 2014-12-09 02:30:33
That serial number indicates that it was also built around 1909, you can verify it in the blue book of pianos. Yes it is real ivory, of which alone is worth money as it is illegal now to kill elephants for their tusks. Benhing was born in Germany but set up shop in New York in the 1860's. Later his son became part of the company, so your piano is actually a Benhing & sons. Benhing is noted as been a master craftsman & these antique pianos are worthy of restoration & fully restored are worth money. You might visit The Antique Piano Store online.

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel

I am a contracted piano technician for Steinway and Sons in New York handling warranty issues, prepping pianos for the showroom and delivery; I also serve the City University of NY as a piano technician. I am also self-employed in New York. I apprenticed (Manhattan School of Music)in 1982 and was factory (Steinway) trained in 1983. I have experience tuning, repairing, reconditioning, and appraisals. Please note that appraising an instrument involves a visual inspection and knowledge of the local market area. I am not an expert in player mechanisms, refinishing, electronic keyboards, midi, nor organs. I love the work of making an instrument sound concert quality.

I successfully apprenticed at the Manhattan School of Music under Alan Buchman and Peter Favant in 1982 (also received B.A. in music from same school) and employed by Steinway and Sons in 1983 as a tuner-technician. I also served as service manager for Steinway. Presently, I service pianos for CUNY and I handle warranty issues and tunings for Steinway.

The Piano Technicians Guild, New York Chapter

Manhattan School of Music, BA; American Management Association certificate (Steinway and Sons); Queens College, CUNY, MA