Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Janssen Lowrey Organo

PianoTechDude wrote at 2013-02-01 20:58:17
I thought I should add to this, because I am a piano technician myself. First off, William is right, I am not a registered tech but definitely know my field. The whole RPT from the PTG is nothing more than a costly invention to get peoples money, like a union, just to say you are part of something that verifies you can do what you claim, and is not necessary.

Now to the piano. I just came across one of these Janssens with the Lowery organ, and tubes are available, and not too expensive. you can find them online. There are plenty of new amplifiers that use the old tubes that are becoming more popular these days with guitar amps, etc. trying to recreate that rich tone only found with tube amps. Same with the old Hammond organs, and Leslie's, they are all sought after, and tubes are in plenty. I was lucky to have found an envelope inside the piano case that contains the schematics for the amp, and shows all the tubes it calls for, as well as any other of the electrical parts. I may have to make a copy for future reference for people that come across these.

Don't give up on the organ part of these, since they will become a collectors item at some point. This is the first of it's kind combing the piano and organ together in one unit and I predict they will increase in value as time goes on.

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

William Rowland

PLEASE NOTE! I do NOT give values of pianos OR dates! The piano service questions I can cover include general information about piano tuning: how often should a piano be tuned, what if a piano has been neglected, what is a pitch raise, how long does it take, how much should I expect to pay for service, and so forth. I can also provide information about common repairs and adjustments, such as keys that don't work, those that continue to sound after you have let off the key, how important is the regulation, can I change the tone of my piano, how can I get the keytops repaired/replaced, and so on. I DO NOT provide resale values of instruments for two reasons: first, a technician has to physically check out a unit in order to appraise its value accurately, and second, values vary widely from one part of the country to another. I also do not offer advice as to care of the piano case, as that is better left to woodworkers and cabinet makers. I also DO NOT provide information about the age of a piano, that info can be accessed at http://www.pianoatlas.com.

I have been a piano tuner/technician in the Midwestern USA since 1974, working with customers and music stores to provide service to their pianos. I do tuning and repairs and provide free estimates on my services and have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.

Empire School of Piano Technology, 1973, Apprenticeship at Century Keyboards, Joplin, MO. Also I earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science at Missouri Southern State University in 1990.