Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Stack Piano

QUESTION: Dear sir,

I trying to find out any information at all about ‘STACK’ upright pianos.
Probably made in Germany and usually black ebony.
Year of manufacture….probably 1936?

Many thanks,

Brendan Kirby
Dublin 11

ANSWER: Hi Brendan:

I see no manufacture of that name anywhere in my resources.

Are you sure you are spelling it correctly?

Look inside to see if there is yet another name with which the Stack Company may have been associated.

Let me know.

QUESTION: Dear Ralph,

Thank you for your reply. I have the following information.

Supplied by Walton's Music
Nth Fredrick St, Dublin
(Still in existence......so I might try there later?)

The name is definitely 'STACK' and it is an Upright. (although I understand that certain parts of the Piano assembly are also know as 'The Stack')................perhaps it was assembled by Walton's who then labeled it as 'STACK'.....that might explain the english language writing?

However, it may be an English make as I found a label with

code: o 4398
Des: 16084......indistinguishable

The side panels are stamped
'7074 Walton'
'7110 Walton', but the 'Walton' writing is crudely etched into the wood, whereas the numbers are clearly stamped.

The are 85 keys rather than 88 and they are numbered 1 to 85, all woodwormed. The no. 1 key is stamped 'loaded under patent No. 2'''''-27
The final key is stamped 'loaded under patent No. 280''866-27

The first 5 keys are stamped alternately with 'C-4596'.

The iron frame is stamped with the letters 'HM'

I have dissambled the piano and the condition is very bad. Some panels have been attacked by woodworm, including the keys, hammer supports, crossbeams, and the floor has broken up. The cloth is missing from the back. The panels appear to be black ebony but not attacked by woodworm. All felts are in bad condition.

Basically, I am considering scrapping this instrument, which hurts, as my granfather bought it from his meagre salary, for my mother......who never played it! I am a professional pianist myself and learnt music on this piano, but I didn't take charge of it until recently. I am told it cost about £200 sterling in 1936, but that sounds exaggerated to me, as that would be £10,000 in todays money.

I would appreciate your final word on the matter - is it worth keeping - and again many thanks for your advice.

Brendan Kirby
Dublin 11

Hi Brendon:

I did find a Humphrey Walton in England...established 1787.

With all do respect to Grandfather and you Mom, the piano is not worth investing another pound.

We have rebuilt pianos like this in the case where it was a family heirloom and the owner had very deep pockets, but only after explaining that the outcome would not result in a piano that was worth much monetarily.

When one asks, "is it worth keeping?", my assumption is the heirloom value is not a priority.

The short answer is, "no".  

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti

I am a Registered/tested member of the Piano Technicians Guild (RPT) with 49 years of experience in all phases and levels of the acoustic piano. I will answer any questions regarding acoustic pianos only. All questions and answers are to remain public. Please to not include sensitive material! If they are marked private, I will change them to public. My answers may be of assistance to others. If privacy is an issue, please contact me through my web site: http://www.onestipiano.com Electronic keyboards, organs, and player/reproducing piano mechanisms are outside of my expertise. Anything to do with: Construction, Service, Tuning, Climate Control Systems, Piano Disc, Purchasing, Selling, Insurance Appraisal, Rebuilding, Repairs, Legal issues, Maintenance, Environmental issues, Finish issues with acoustic pianos. My full resume can be found at: http://onestipiano.com/pages/history.html You can like us on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/onestipianoservice

In business since 1964, Extensive Rebuilding/Repair/Service facility. A certified, tested, member of the Piano Technicians Guild, Member of the Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. Have performed piano service on Concert Stage, Recording Studios, and in the home. Http://www.onestipiano.com. The shop's work comes from all over the world from private clients or other techncians.

The Piano Technicians Guild, Master Piano Technicians of America, Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. (TASA), IAPBT. The Piano Technicians Guild is the only organization in the US that offers a certification test to become Registered. There are no "factory authorized techncians".

The Piano Technicians Journal

Attented Temple University, Drexel University, Philadelphia Community college all in the areas of engineering and Music. I taught a two semester course in Piano Technology and the related acoustical physics at Temple University. I have taught extensively for the Piano Technicians Guild and the Master Piano Technicians of America.

Service Award for the Rose Tree Media School District in Pennsylvania. Chapter Award from the Philadelphia Chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild.

The list is rather extensive. I would suggest you go http://onestipiano.com/pages/testimonials.html where there is a comprehensive list of clients past and present.