Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Baldwin piano model and refinishing advice

Baldwin upright
Baldwin upright  

Baldwin upright 2
Baldwin upright 2  
Can you identify the model of the Baldwin piano in the attached photos and, if so, can you tell me anything about it, such as where this model was manufactured and whether it is considered a good quality Baldwin?  I would also appreciate any advice about refinishing it (and the cost of refinishing) as you can see scratches on the finish in the attached photos.  Thank you!

Hi Karen:

This is a typical Baldwin Acrosonic, spinet style (drop action) piano.

They were made by Baldwin, most likely in Ohio.

Be careful, the worth of this piano is far less than a refinishing would cost.

If the piano is still viable, you might want to consider having a furniture touch up company in to give it a facelift on site rather than a full refinishing.

If you lift the lid, you will find a serial number. If you forward that to me I can date the piano for you and give us more food for thought.

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti

I am a Registered/tested member of the Piano Technicians Guild (RPT) with 49 years of experience in all phases and levels of the acoustic piano. I will answer any questions regarding acoustic pianos only. All questions and answers are to remain public. Please to not include sensitive material! If they are marked private, I will change them to public. My answers may be of assistance to others. If privacy is an issue, please contact me through my web site: Electronic keyboards, organs, and player/reproducing piano mechanisms are outside of my expertise. Anything to do with: Construction, Service, Tuning, Climate Control Systems, Piano Disc, Purchasing, Selling, Insurance Appraisal, Rebuilding, Repairs, Legal issues, Maintenance, Environmental issues, Finish issues with acoustic pianos. My full resume can be found at: You can like us on Facebook at:

In business since 1964, Extensive Rebuilding/Repair/Service facility. A certified, tested, member of the Piano Technicians Guild, Member of the Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. Have performed piano service on Concert Stage, Recording Studios, and in the home. Http:// The shop's work comes from all over the world from private clients or other techncians.

The Piano Technicians Guild, Master Piano Technicians of America, Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. (TASA), IAPBT. The Piano Technicians Guild is the only organization in the US that offers a certification test to become Registered. There are no "factory authorized techncians".

The Piano Technicians Journal

Attented Temple University, Drexel University, Philadelphia Community college all in the areas of engineering and Music. I taught a two semester course in Piano Technology and the related acoustical physics at Temple University. I have taught extensively for the Piano Technicians Guild and the Master Piano Technicians of America.

Service Award for the Rose Tree Media School District in Pennsylvania. Chapter Award from the Philadelphia Chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild.

The list is rather extensive. I would suggest you go where there is a comprehensive list of clients past and present.