Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/buying a piano off of craigslist

Question
Hi Ralph,

I noticed a couple of pianos on Craigslist at what seems to be a really good price (perhaps too good?).  My 5 year old daughter has expressed an interest in the piano, and my husband and I both like the thougth of having a piano in the house to tinker on.  So we would like to find a decent piano to have for now, with the intentions of getting a better quality one down the road if anyone in the family developes any real intentions to play. I'm still at home with the littlest one, so we don't have a large budget right now.  I plan on bringing along someone who knows more about pianos than I do when I go to see them, but would like some imput to hopefully avoid wasting everyone's time.

Here are the pianos I found:

1971 Wurlitzer upright piano Model #2616, serial number 1452366 for $250.  The post says that the family is the sole owner, and that it was not played much.  Should I be concerned about the age?

A Janssen with a serial number of 167703 for 250.  It is 3 feet high, which makes me think it might be a spinet, which I am given to understand should be avoided.  Is this correct?

A Melville Clark (Apollo) Upright which was converted from an auto player for $200.  I know you don't answer questions about player pianos, but is a conversion possible, or something to be weary of?

The last is a Jessie French and Sons for $200, but I don't know a serial number or any other info, so I guess I can't ask you anything specific.

I know this is lenghty, but any insight you can share is greatly appreciated!!  Thanks so much!

Sally

Answer
Hi Sally:

The Wurlitzer upright in 1971 is not that old for pianos. I'm going to guess it's about 42 inches high and a console. At that serial number the manufacturing date shows up as 1977. And at the price...I'm guessing it's a good buy as long as there are no major problems.

The Janssen was made in the 60's. Between a console in the 70's and a spinet in the 60's...I would go with the console.

The Melville Clark was part of Story and Clark. when you say converted from...do you mean the player stuff was removed????

The French piano could go back as far as 1953 and beyond.

So far, the Wurlitzer is winning.

Are these pianos local???

Don't take a piano teacher with you to look at them, take a registered member of the Piano Technicians Guild. You would have verified the status of the piano AND found a tech to take care of it.

Go to http://www.ptg.org to find a tech in your area.

Let me know how you do and if I can help further.

Oh...if none of these pianos pan out, chances are that registered technician has clients willing to sell pianos they no longer use and the tech will already know the condition!

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti