Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Hobart M Cable/Steinway Connection?

HI Samuel,

I have two quick questions.  First, my wife and I recently bought a Hobart M Cable piano with serial number 372429.  We think the piano was manufactured in 1964, but we would like to be sure.  We would also like to know where it was made, and by whom.  I know the history of Hobart M Cable is a little sketchy around this period, so we would like more details.

Also, the dealer told us that this piano arrived with a collection of used Steinways, and he insisted that this piano was sold alongside Steinways back then and that Steinway might have even had a hand in its manufacture, at least in terms of overseeing production, or something like that.  If you have any information on this, we would love to know.

Regardless, the piano is remarkably well made, and according to my wife has a surprisingly good feel and tone.

Thanks so much!
Jesse Hamilton
Phoenix, Arizona

Hi Jesse,

The date of manufacture that you have for your piano is correct. As for the relationship between the two piano makers, I am not aware of any. When I worked full-time at Steinway, there was a relationship between the Everett Piano Company and Steinway, but only in terms of sales, not production.

Most likely, your piano was taken in as  trade-in by Steinway and then wholesaled off to a dealer with a number of other trade-ins including used Steinways. Hobart M Cable pianos were manufactured in LaPorte, Indiana. Some pianos were made by Story and Clark and, later on, Yamaha. The name is now owned by Samick, a Korean piano maker.

I hope this is helpful.

Sam Noel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel

I am a contracted piano technician for Steinway and Sons in New York handling warranty issues, prepping pianos for the showroom and delivery; I also serve the City University of NY as a piano technician. I am also self-employed in New York. I apprenticed (Manhattan School of Music)in 1982 and was factory (Steinway) trained in 1983. I have experience tuning, repairing, reconditioning, and appraisals. Please note that appraising an instrument involves a visual inspection and knowledge of the local market area. I am not an expert in player mechanisms, refinishing, electronic keyboards, midi, nor organs. I love the work of making an instrument sound concert quality.

I successfully apprenticed at the Manhattan School of Music under Alan Buchman and Peter Favant in 1982 (also received B.A. in music from same school) and employed by Steinway and Sons in 1983 as a tuner-technician. I also served as service manager for Steinway. Presently, I service pianos for CUNY and I handle warranty issues and tunings for Steinway.

The Piano Technicians Guild, New York Chapter

Manhattan School of Music, BA; American Management Association certificate (Steinway and Sons); Queens College, CUNY, MA