Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/piano age & value

I have a Kurtzmann upright piano & bench.  Very dark in color.  Serial #50240.  There are a few scratches but overall it is in very good condition.  The sound is beautiful.  I would like to know the age & approximate value of this piano.  I'm not able to send an image.  Thank you.

Hi CJ,

The serial number provides information on the year of manufacture of an instrument; your piano was made in 1914. However, the value of an instrument can only be determined after a technician has visually inspected its 12,000 parts. Most dealers assign a $0 value to pianos of this vintage because the practical life expectancy is about 100 years. Private sellers usually fetch a few hundred dollars if the piano is playable. There are exceptions but, again, that would require an inspection. If you need a referral, contact the Piano Technicians Guild (www.ptg.org).

Sam Noel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel

I am a contracted piano technician for Steinway and Sons in New York handling warranty issues, prepping pianos for the showroom and delivery; I also serve the City University of NY as a piano technician. I am also self-employed in New York. I apprenticed (Manhattan School of Music)in 1982 and was factory (Steinway) trained in 1983. I have experience tuning, repairing, reconditioning, and appraisals. Please note that appraising an instrument involves a visual inspection and knowledge of the local market area. I am not an expert in player mechanisms, refinishing, electronic keyboards, midi, nor organs. I love the work of making an instrument sound concert quality.

I successfully apprenticed at the Manhattan School of Music under Alan Buchman and Peter Favant in 1982 (also received B.A. in music from same school) and employed by Steinway and Sons in 1983 as a tuner-technician. I also served as service manager for Steinway. Presently, I service pianos for CUNY and I handle warranty issues and tunings for Steinway.

The Piano Technicians Guild, New York Chapter

Manhattan School of Music, BA; American Management Association certificate (Steinway and Sons); Queens College, CUNY, MA