Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/piano age & value

Question
I have a Kurtzmann upright piano & bench.  Very dark in color.  Serial #50240.  There are a few scratches but overall it is in very good condition.  The sound is beautiful.  I would like to know the age & approximate value of this piano.  I'm not able to send an image.  Thank you.

Answer
Hi CJ,

The serial number provides information on the year of manufacture of an instrument; your piano was made in 1914. However, the value of an instrument can only be determined after a technician has visually inspected its 12,000 parts. Most dealers assign a $0 value to pianos of this vintage because the practical life expectancy is about 100 years. Private sellers usually fetch a few hundred dollars if the piano is playable. There are exceptions but, again, that would require an inspection. If you need a referral, contact the Piano Technicians Guild (www.ptg.org).

Sam Noel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel