Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/1910 monochord mini piano

i have inherited a 1910 monochord mini piano that was made in japan in good to great condition i can not find any information about it on the web can you help

Hi Sean,

From what I know, the Monochord Piano was a stencil brand imported to the U.S. by Manning Big Red Piano. They went out of business 40 years ago. Stencil pianos are those made by a manufacturer for another manufacturer, retailer, etc. In the U.S., we had pianos with department store names such as Abraham and Strauss, Wannamaker, Sears, etc. made by Aeolian Corp. and other piano makers.

I've heard of Yamaha producing some stencil pianos under the Monochord brand, but I can't substantiate that.

Perhaps another volunteer can shed more light on your particular piano. Good luck and Happy New Year!

Sam Noel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel

I am a contracted piano technician for Steinway and Sons in New York handling warranty issues, prepping pianos for the showroom and delivery; I also serve the City University of NY as a piano technician. I am also self-employed in New York. I apprenticed (Manhattan School of Music)in 1982 and was factory (Steinway) trained in 1983. I have experience tuning, repairing, reconditioning, and appraisals. Please note that appraising an instrument involves a visual inspection and knowledge of the local market area. I am not an expert in player mechanisms, refinishing, electronic keyboards, midi, nor organs. I love the work of making an instrument sound concert quality.

I successfully apprenticed at the Manhattan School of Music under Alan Buchman and Peter Favant in 1982 (also received B.A. in music from same school) and employed by Steinway and Sons in 1983 as a tuner-technician. I also served as service manager for Steinway. Presently, I service pianos for CUNY and I handle warranty issues and tunings for Steinway.

The Piano Technicians Guild, New York Chapter

Manhattan School of Music, BA; American Management Association certificate (Steinway and Sons); Queens College, CUNY, MA