Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Saloon Piano

QUESTION: My cousin has a 1946 High Back Saloon style piano made by the Maynard Brothers.  The information on the underside of the key cover states it's from Salisbury, NC. It has 3 foot pedals on the bottom, the key cover locks over the keys, all keys are in place and it works fine. It does have 3 keys out of tune that can be serviced.

Do you know how much it would be worth in today's market?

ANSWER: Hi Jalynnette:

Well...with no serial number I can't confirm the date. But let's just assume it is a typical full vertical from 1946.

Typically, in very, very good condition, and in today's market, we may be up to 400.00.

QUESTION: She found these numbers inside of it.. 15114 and 196.. does this help?

Hi again!

The only Maynard listed is R. K. Maynard which was associated with Werner in Chicago.

There was also a Werner in Pennsylvania.

There is no listing for Maynard Brothers.

Here is one explanation. In many cases, the name on the piano is put there by the person who worked on it...even if it looks like factory, OR, it is a piano made for a retailer.

Many factories made pianos for local retailers and happily made a stencil with the last name of the retailer, or the retail company.

I looked up available fallboard decals and the only two Maynard decals are for the companies I listed above.

All of that means the serial number you gave is from another company...the one which actually made the piano.

Where did you get the "1946"?

And...when you say saloon style, do you mean it has a mirror on it?  

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti

I am a Registered/tested member of the Piano Technicians Guild (RPT) with 49 years of experience in all phases and levels of the acoustic piano. I will answer any questions regarding acoustic pianos only. All questions and answers are to remain public. Please to not include sensitive material! If they are marked private, I will change them to public. My answers may be of assistance to others. If privacy is an issue, please contact me through my web site: http://www.onestipiano.com Electronic keyboards, organs, and player/reproducing piano mechanisms are outside of my expertise. Anything to do with: Construction, Service, Tuning, Climate Control Systems, Piano Disc, Purchasing, Selling, Insurance Appraisal, Rebuilding, Repairs, Legal issues, Maintenance, Environmental issues, Finish issues with acoustic pianos. My full resume can be found at: http://onestipiano.com/pages/history.html You can like us on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/onestipianoservice

In business since 1964, Extensive Rebuilding/Repair/Service facility. A certified, tested, member of the Piano Technicians Guild, Member of the Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. Have performed piano service on Concert Stage, Recording Studios, and in the home. Http://www.onestipiano.com. The shop's work comes from all over the world from private clients or other techncians.

The Piano Technicians Guild, Master Piano Technicians of America, Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. (TASA), IAPBT. The Piano Technicians Guild is the only organization in the US that offers a certification test to become Registered. There are no "factory authorized techncians".

The Piano Technicians Journal

Attented Temple University, Drexel University, Philadelphia Community college all in the areas of engineering and Music. I taught a two semester course in Piano Technology and the related acoustical physics at Temple University. I have taught extensively for the Piano Technicians Guild and the Master Piano Technicians of America.

Service Award for the Rose Tree Media School District in Pennsylvania. Chapter Award from the Philadelphia Chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild.

The list is rather extensive. I would suggest you go http://onestipiano.com/pages/testimonials.html where there is a comprehensive list of clients past and present.