Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Sohmer & Co piano

Question
I have searched endlessly for information on the piano I have. For some reason I have returned little to no result. I was told by the only previous owner that it was a "french provincial", not sure what that means exactly? It's a baby grand "cupid" model with the serial number of 56019. I'm trying to find any records pertaining to this piano and when it was manufactured? Also, I'm sure it would need some restoration (minor) and tuning. I know that restoring a piano can be quite pricey, so I'm wondering if it would even be worth the investment?

Answer
Hi Stephen,

Your Sohmer Cupid grand piano was manufactured in 1923. French Provincial is a style of furniture with curved, sloped legs. You can easily Google the term and see what it looks like and compare to your own piano. I can't attach pictures in this venue.

Sohmer was a family owned piano making business until it was sold in 1982 to Pratt Reade, a piano parts manufacturer. The company changed hands several times and basically went out of business. Today, the Sohmer name is used by Samick, a Korean instrument maker. I doubt that there are records of your particular piano still existing, however, you can try contacting Samick to see if any records were transferred to them when they acquired the name. Their website is at: http://www.smcmusic.com.

As far as restoring your piano, it depends on what it needs. If it needs action rebuilding, that's a few thousand there and could be worth it. If you need a complete rebuilding job (soundboard, pinblock, etc.), you would be in the ten thousand dollar range and up. Refinishing is separate.

Have your piano evaluated by a qualified technician or rebuilding shop. You can get referrals from the Piano Technicians Guild (www.ptg.org). It's very difficult to tell you if the investment is worth it without having seen the instrument. If you are still interested in investing in this instrument, visit the shop of the rebuilder to see the quality of work performed.

I hope this is helpful. Have a Happy New Year!

Sam Noel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel