Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Requesting information about my Lowrey piano

Rebecca Russcher wrote at 2012-09-18 05:38:07
I know a little about Charles Frederick Stein and his pianos, as I have a Stein grand.  During its lifetime, my piano has been serviced by technicians who either worked with Stein and/or were familiar with the history of the company and Stein himself.  Stein's reputation was highly regarded in the industry.  I agree with Mr. Onesti that the design (and color)does not match instruments made before the 1950's.  Stein pianos were manufactured until 1941, when WWII essentially suspended piano production in the U.S.  Afterward, Stein worked for Pratt Reed in Ivoryton, CT, designing scales and actions.  (Scale design refers to the complex ratio of string length, thickness, and tension; small pianos are especially difficult to design with evenness of tone.)  Lowery, their specialty being vertical pianos, began utilizing his scale design in the 1960's/70's.  Also, his name lent considerable prestige to their company.  These instruments were made in the Romeoville, IL area (or near this area), and in Grand Haven, MI, at the Story and Clark factory.

Celia wrote at 2012-11-18 14:07:00
I tuned a piano yesterday which looks identical to the one in the picture.  It says Charles Frederick Stein, with the serial no. of 62035.  It is a spinet with a drop action.  It does not seem possible that the piano is as old as 1941, let alone 1916.  It has plastic key tops.  It has phillips head screws.  1956 seems more plausible.  Did Nickie ever send you a picture of the action?  

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti

I am a Registered/tested member of the Piano Technicians Guild (RPT) with 49 years of experience in all phases and levels of the acoustic piano. I will answer any questions regarding acoustic pianos only. All questions and answers are to remain public. Please to not include sensitive material! If they are marked private, I will change them to public. My answers may be of assistance to others. If privacy is an issue, please contact me through my web site: Electronic keyboards, organs, and player/reproducing piano mechanisms are outside of my expertise. Anything to do with: Construction, Service, Tuning, Climate Control Systems, Piano Disc, Purchasing, Selling, Insurance Appraisal, Rebuilding, Repairs, Legal issues, Maintenance, Environmental issues, Finish issues with acoustic pianos. My full resume can be found at: You can like us on Facebook at:

In business since 1964, Extensive Rebuilding/Repair/Service facility. A certified, tested, member of the Piano Technicians Guild, Member of the Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. Have performed piano service on Concert Stage, Recording Studios, and in the home. Http:// The shop's work comes from all over the world from private clients or other techncians.

The Piano Technicians Guild, Master Piano Technicians of America, Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. (TASA), IAPBT. The Piano Technicians Guild is the only organization in the US that offers a certification test to become Registered. There are no "factory authorized techncians".

The Piano Technicians Journal

Attented Temple University, Drexel University, Philadelphia Community college all in the areas of engineering and Music. I taught a two semester course in Piano Technology and the related acoustical physics at Temple University. I have taught extensively for the Piano Technicians Guild and the Master Piano Technicians of America.

Service Award for the Rose Tree Media School District in Pennsylvania. Chapter Award from the Philadelphia Chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild.

The list is rather extensive. I would suggest you go where there is a comprehensive list of clients past and present.