Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Getts Cabinet Grand Piano

Question
I have a Getts Cabinet Grand Piano and cannot find information on it anywhere. Is there any way of figuring out an estimate of when it was made? All I know is that it was made in chicago.

Answer
Hi Jenna,

Getts was a retail music store in Chicago and like other retailers like Sears, A&S, Wannamakers, etc., had "stencil" pianos made by piano makers. We see some of this even today as Steinway's Boston brand is made by Kawai in Japan.

It's very difficult to get information about stencil pianos since the store and actual maker may have been out of business for so long. Your best bet is to have a technician examine your piano and see if there are clues within it. The date of manufacture may have been penciled in by a factory technician within different parts of the instrument.

If you need a referral, contact the Piano Technicians Guild (www.ptg.org). Good luck.

Sam Noel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel