Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Hardman & Peck

Question
I am trying to find a reasonable grand for a school/church and came across someone selling a Hardman and Peck grand that is over 100 years old. It's privately owned and said to be in great shape. I read your post about these pianos and was wondering if it was well kept would it still give years of good music. Will this hold up with age as some do?

Answer
Yes, a hundred-plus-year-old piano can still be an instrument of good musical quality.  The grand at our theatre organ club, for example, is 110 and still in use for our performances.  Has the piano been rebuilt?  If not, that can run into the thousands.  Best bet is to get an appraisal from a respected piano technician who can check out the piano, soundboard, bridges, pinblock, and action, and tell you of its general condition.  You can get referrals from PTG, the piano technician's guild, but I wouldn't stop there.  You can enquire at music stores and local teachers about who has the best reputation.  The PTG will only recommend their "registered" technicians, but don't worry if the tech you select is "registered" or not, many fine technicians have never bothered with it.  Good luck!

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

William Rowland