Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Piano

Question
Dear Joel,

I am 55 years old and always had a desire to learn to play the piano .Though both my kids play the piano to a fairly accomplished level but somehow I could never muster the time and the inclination to start learning.

Is is too late for me to start playing and reach a reasonable level.

With regards,

Pushpender

Answer
It is never too late to play piano. At whatever age, you should be able to reach a reasonable level of accomplishment.  However, how accomplished you become depends on what you put into it.  It does take time, effort, and discipline.  The most important thing about playing is to enjoy doing it.  Don't let it be a chore.  That is lesson #1.
    There are piano methods designed for the adult student.  The only one I know of, off-hand, is the Bastian Method.  This was many years ago, but check at a local music store. They can help you find a method that works best for you.
    Regarding learning an instrument, I have a friend who is learning guitar and he is about 65 years old.  He does quite well.  Age is not as important as what you put into it.
    Something I have found interesting is a competition for "accomplished amateurs."  This involves people of all ages, from all walks of life.  One of the first winners was a lady who was a homemaker in Minnesota.
    Think of the piano as something you "get" to do.  Keep it fun.
    Good luck.  Happy playing!  Joel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Joel Bjorling