Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/pre/post 1923 gourlay

Question
gourlay1
gourlay1  
gourlay2
gourlay2  
QUESTION: hello!

just wondering if you could offer any advice as to when this piano might have been made and/or the quality of it from your own experience.

is this actually a sherlock-manning?  is it a spinet?  how might you price it?

hopefully hear from you soon!

sincerely,

matt

ANSWER: Hi Matt:

Manning took over Gourlay in 1924 and continued making the Goulay until 1961.

If you give me a serial number I can date it for you.

The quality is middle of the road...nothing remarkable, nothing terrible.

The value is always based on viability. But let's say for argument's sake this is in perfect condition...I'm thinking 1200.00 USD.

QUESTION: awesome!  thanks so much for the prompt response!

one more thing, if you know:  is this an example of a spinet piano?

i'm concerned about the playing action--for advanced classical.

cheers!

matt

Answer
Hi Matt:

From the looks of it, it looks like a console.

Here's how we tell.

Open the piano and take a look at the action and the keys.

Spinet: the keys stop short of the action, and a portion of the action sits below the level of the back of the keys. The end of the key is connected to a "lifter" that reaches down below the action and lifts up.

Console: The keys go under the action so the entire action system sits atop the keys. In this case, the key pushes up directly on the action.

The Spinet is better named the "drop action" piano.

If you get confused...send me a picture of the inside and we'll call it together.

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti