Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/St. Regis, Chicago - Baldwin Upright

Hi There-
I just got a piano for free from a friend.  It needs a little TLC, but looks like a really nice piano.  It's a St. Regis, Chicago, Baldwin interior upright.  It is about 52 inches tall.  The serial # is 16027.  It also has a stamp on front that says 'From Jennings of Spokane'. It has the Product of Baldwin stamp on it inside saying "Since 1862".  I think it's 1862 anyways.  I'm guessing the piano was made in the early 1900's but would like a little more specifics if possible.

Hi Bethany,

Your St. Regis upright was manufactured in 1902 at the Monarch factory located at 14th and Arnold Streets in Chicago Heights, Illinois. The brand was discontinued in 1938 by Baldwin, the parent company. I hope this is helpful.

Sam Noel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel

I am a contracted piano technician for Steinway and Sons in New York handling warranty issues, prepping pianos for the showroom and delivery; I also serve the City University of NY as a piano technician. I am also self-employed in New York. I apprenticed (Manhattan School of Music)in 1982 and was factory (Steinway) trained in 1983. I have experience tuning, repairing, reconditioning, and appraisals. Please note that appraising an instrument involves a visual inspection and knowledge of the local market area. I am not an expert in player mechanisms, refinishing, electronic keyboards, midi, nor organs. I love the work of making an instrument sound concert quality.

I successfully apprenticed at the Manhattan School of Music under Alan Buchman and Peter Favant in 1982 (also received B.A. in music from same school) and employed by Steinway and Sons in 1983 as a tuner-technician. I also served as service manager for Steinway. Presently, I service pianos for CUNY and I handle warranty issues and tunings for Steinway.

The Piano Technicians Guild, New York Chapter

Manhattan School of Music, BA; American Management Association certificate (Steinway and Sons); Queens College, CUNY, MA