Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Gerhard Upright Grand Piano Chicago

I have an Upright Grand Piano that has the Gerhard logo and says Chicago on the front panel. The keys are ivory over wood. The finish has been damaged by someone painting on it in colors for the keys and flowers on the front panel... mostly faded off now. Otherwise is is in pretty good shape. Needs tuning badly but all the keys work, some are chipped. It has a molded in mark on the harp that says Materials and Workmanship Fully Warranted and the serial number under that is 82444. The pedals work also.
Do you have any idea what the age and estimated value might be?
Thank you,
Myra Bowling

Hi Myra:

The Gerhard piano company of Chicago had a short life. The company failed in 1922 leaving behind to records of serial numbers relating to dates of manufacture. This happened to hundreds of smaller manufacturers.

I very good condition, your piano might be worth up to 150.00.

The date, without records is of course prior to 1922.

I hope that helped.

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti

I am a Registered/tested member of the Piano Technicians Guild (RPT) with 49 years of experience in all phases and levels of the acoustic piano. I will answer any questions regarding acoustic pianos only. All questions and answers are to remain public. Please to not include sensitive material! If they are marked private, I will change them to public. My answers may be of assistance to others. If privacy is an issue, please contact me through my web site: Electronic keyboards, organs, and player/reproducing piano mechanisms are outside of my expertise. Anything to do with: Construction, Service, Tuning, Climate Control Systems, Piano Disc, Purchasing, Selling, Insurance Appraisal, Rebuilding, Repairs, Legal issues, Maintenance, Environmental issues, Finish issues with acoustic pianos. My full resume can be found at: You can like us on Facebook at:

In business since 1964, Extensive Rebuilding/Repair/Service facility. A certified, tested, member of the Piano Technicians Guild, Member of the Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. Have performed piano service on Concert Stage, Recording Studios, and in the home. Http:// The shop's work comes from all over the world from private clients or other techncians.

The Piano Technicians Guild, Master Piano Technicians of America, Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. (TASA), IAPBT. The Piano Technicians Guild is the only organization in the US that offers a certification test to become Registered. There are no "factory authorized techncians".

The Piano Technicians Journal

Attented Temple University, Drexel University, Philadelphia Community college all in the areas of engineering and Music. I taught a two semester course in Piano Technology and the related acoustical physics at Temple University. I have taught extensively for the Piano Technicians Guild and the Master Piano Technicians of America.

Service Award for the Rose Tree Media School District in Pennsylvania. Chapter Award from the Philadelphia Chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild.

The list is rather extensive. I would suggest you go where there is a comprehensive list of clients past and present.