Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Determining Mathushek Piano Year

Question
QUESTION: Hello there,

I was thrilled to find your online service. My family has a Mathushek piano with the following serial number: 32142. Inside it says the piano is a Patent Parlor Gem. The size of 5' 9". I think it may be considered a Living Room Grand.

I'm wondering what year the piano is and, if you you could tell us, what the approximate value is. I'd say the piano is in fair to good condition and holds a tune pretty well.

My mom, who enjoyed playing it, past away in June. We have some neighbors interested in purchasing it, but we'd like to know a fair price to quote them.

Thanks a million for your help!

George

ANSWER: Hi George:

Your piano was made in 1897 if your serial number is correct.

At this point, monetary value is all but gone.

Age brings "issues" to pianos if they just sit there.

Selling a piano like this has to be 'as is'.

There are structural issues, viability issues, etc.

If you want to be fair, and if the buyers want to know what it is they are getting, I would have it looked at by a registered member of the piano technicians guild.

Go to ptg.org and plug in your zip code under "locate a technician".

It would be worth the service call to "keep the peace".

Happy Thanksgiving!

QUESTION: Ralph,

Even though it's old, the piano plays well and looks great. Based on this, would you say we should sell it for $500? $1000?

Thanks in advance for your final thoughts/guess-timate!

George

Answer
Hi George:

This is a "soft" Market for pianos.

I would put it on the market for 1800.00.

You can allow any REGISTERED member of the piano technicians guild to come inspect it. No UN-registered members (Associates). We all carry a card!

Rules:

1. Sold as is with no warranties either written or implied.

2. The piano must be moved by a professional piano mover. Three guys, dad's pickup and a six pack of Bud is a recipe for disaster!!!! Piano movers are insured and we're worried about injury and your home.

3. The move expense is the responsibility of the buyer not the seller.

4. This is always a case for "ask for ten, hope for seven, and take five.

These pianos were some of the best in their day, but in this case that day is gone.

I would post this in the local music schools, music stores, and anywhere you think pianists may congregate.

Bill it as the perfect family piano or starter instrument and see where it goes from there.

Let me know how you do. I'm here for you!

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti