Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/History of Kinzie Piano

Question
Hello,  I was wondering what you might know about my grandmother's piano. We brought it to our home from her Chicago residence. I believe it was probably made in the early 1900's. It still has the emblem that says Kinzie  Chicago and the umber is 8485.

I looked, but cannot find information on this model.  It still has the leather ties connected to the hammers.

Thank you.

Nancy

Answer
I noted that you have already received a response to your question.

I agree with the previous response:  Your Kinzie Chicago piano 8485 was probably built by a "ghost" factory, sold to a retailer in Chicago, and stamped with their name.

I did not find any information about a Kinsie retailer or a manufacturer in Chicago.  Perhaps you can remove all of the front panels above and below the keyboard to find other numbers or names.

The American piano industry in the early twentieth century was complex and grew to meet the rapid increase in the market, so your "Kinsie" reflects that complexity.

You might even find some small treasures under the keys, such as the 1935 quarter I found in my Adam Schaaf upright 41,662 when I took it apart to clean and recondition it.

Enjoy it as a family heirloom, a relic of American history, an art object, and whatever musical experience it allows.  Search the Internet and Youtube for tutorials about how an amateur can recondition her piano.

I treasure my two Adam Schaaf uprights for all those reasons.

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Robert James Seeley