Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Winter and Company

Question
I was given a piano that is a Winter and Company.  After some research I realized it is an older piano brand.  So I am curious as to it's actual age.  I love old things and am wondering if it is a vintage piano.  The model number is 235917.  Thank you for your assistance.   Emily

Answer
Here are three bits of information regarding your Winter and Company Piano, Emily.  Your piano fits into the 1946 range with serial number 235,917.  Judging from the second paragraph, your piano must be a spinet.  The third site, which I could not copy, for which you could copy and paste the web address into your browser, mentions the Winter and Son Company of Altoona, PA, and their player pianos in 1910.

I hope this helps you.  Your piano is worth nothing more than an interested buyer would pay if you advertised it on line: ebay, Craigslist, etc.  You have to factor in the cost of moving and tuning the piano in its new home into the price someone would be willing to invest in your piano.  You can learn how to work on your piano, and even learn to play it with tutorials on Youtube.

WINTER

1900-4000   1940-183000 1952-291000 1957-84800
1910-28000  1946-225000 1953-310000 1958-92500
1930-98000  1951-278000 1955-324000 1960-102000
http://www.bluebookofpianos.com/serial1.htm#WINTER

Winter
The Winter Piano Company was originally established in 1899 by Julius Winter. In 1901, Julius Winter purchased the Heller Piano Company of New York, absorbing the Heller brand name into the Winter Piano Company. In 1903, a new, state-of-the-art factory was erected on Southern Boulevard. Winter was very successful, and began building pianos under the 'Rudolf' name, utilizing their old factory for the manufacturing of Rudolf pianos. In 1904, Winter began building player pianos under the 'Master-Player' brand name. Prior to the Great Depression, Winter became part of the large Aeolian-American Corporation, and their factories were used to build a number of brand names that were controlled by Aeolian at the time. Winter's most famous contribution to the industry was the 'Winter Musette', the first spinet-style upright piano built in America circa about 1931. When the piano industry went under with the Great Depression, the introduction of the spinet piano essentially saved the industry by offering a new, sleek looking piano that would fit in most modern interiors. Unlike their upright predecessors which were sometimes as high as 60 inches tall, the new Winter Musette spinet piano was barely 36 inches high! The Winter name was discontinued in the 1980's when Aeolian went out of business.
INSTRUMENT CATALOGS & EP
http://antiquepianoshop.com/online-museum/winter

MTR 1910 50-19 page 11 http://www.mbsi.org/mtr/    Winter & Son player pianos in 1910

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Robert James Seeley