Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/where to find the series number / year - Thurmer Piano

Dear Sam,

My family got a Thurmer Piano but we don't know where the series and year it was made..
Do you know where to find it?
I have tried to open the top cover and front bottom to find it but there was no sign of it.
I really appreciate for all the help.
Thank you

Hi Sabina,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

If you lift the top lid up, you should see the serial number either stamped or engraved onto the cast iron plate just above the strings. If you still do not see it, look to the interior sides of the cabinet; it may be engraved onto the wood. If you still do not see it, it may be stamped directly onto the action cradle. This can be seen when the front panel is removed. The panel is usually held onto the piano cabinet by clips or screws on either side of the panel. The serial number may also be engraved onto the back frame of the piano. The front keyslip (the strip of wood in front of the keys) may also have the number engraved onto it. There are usually 3 or 4 screws that secure it from underneath the piano keybed.

I hope this is helpful.

Sam Noel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel

I am a contracted piano technician for Steinway and Sons in New York handling warranty issues, prepping pianos for the showroom and delivery; I also serve the City University of NY as a piano technician. I am also self-employed in New York. I apprenticed (Manhattan School of Music)in 1982 and was factory (Steinway) trained in 1983. I have experience tuning, repairing, reconditioning, and appraisals. Please note that appraising an instrument involves a visual inspection and knowledge of the local market area. I am not an expert in player mechanisms, refinishing, electronic keyboards, midi, nor organs. I love the work of making an instrument sound concert quality.

I successfully apprenticed at the Manhattan School of Music under Alan Buchman and Peter Favant in 1982 (also received B.A. in music from same school) and employed by Steinway and Sons in 1983 as a tuner-technician. I also served as service manager for Steinway. Presently, I service pianos for CUNY and I handle warranty issues and tunings for Steinway.

The Piano Technicians Guild, New York Chapter

Manhattan School of Music, BA; American Management Association certificate (Steinway and Sons); Queens College, CUNY, MA