Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Jacob Doll and Sons Piano

Hello, my name is Kris and I have a little problem. I have a Jacob Doll and Sons Grand (I think) piano and need to remove the keyboard lid due to kids dropping toys behind it. I can't find any obvious ways of removing it and hope you can give me some ideas. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

If this is a grand piano, it will have a wide, flat top.  If that is the case, what follows is the way to do it.  If this is an upright piano (taller than it is wide) there are different techniques which I will not go into here.

To remove the fallboard there could be a couple of ways, sometimes it is necessary to take off the keyslip first (the board that runs in front of the keys) by locating and removing the screws from underneath.  (If there are none, it can probably be removed by simply lifting straight up on it.)  That will then revel the screws in the cheek blocks on either side of the keys, which can then be removed and the fallboard should come with them.  Alternately, the cheek block screws could be removed from below, or accessed from the top by removing the rubber bumper in the middle of each one to reveal a recessed hole and screw.  These are the most common ways of attaching the fallboard.  On some modern grands, there are screws on either side of the fallboard but I think if they had been there you would have seen them already and used them to remove it.

Hope this helps!

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

William Rowland

PLEASE NOTE! I do NOT give values of pianos OR dates! The piano service questions I can cover include general information about piano tuning: how often should a piano be tuned, what if a piano has been neglected, what is a pitch raise, how long does it take, how much should I expect to pay for service, and so forth. I can also provide information about common repairs and adjustments, such as keys that don't work, those that continue to sound after you have let off the key, how important is the regulation, can I change the tone of my piano, how can I get the keytops repaired/replaced, and so on. I DO NOT provide resale values of instruments for two reasons: first, a technician has to physically check out a unit in order to appraise its value accurately, and second, values vary widely from one part of the country to another. I also do not offer advice as to care of the piano case, as that is better left to woodworkers and cabinet makers. I also DO NOT provide information about the age of a piano, that info can be accessed at http://www.pianoatlas.com.

I have been a piano tuner/technician in the Midwestern USA since 1974, working with customers and music stores to provide service to their pianos. I do tuning and repairs and provide free estimates on my services and have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.

Empire School of Piano Technology, 1973, Apprenticeship at Century Keyboards, Joplin, MO. Also I earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science at Missouri Southern State University in 1990.