Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/piano repair

I have a small Wurlitzer piano.  The tension wire on the D5 damper pad is broken so the note rings all the time.  It appears that I will have to remove every key from the pull up action in order to remove it.  Wow!  Is there an easier way?  I have only had uprights in the past and the action was much easier to remove.

You do not have to remove the keys, but the stickers (the part that connects the end of the key to the piano action below) have to be pulled off the keys and held back against the hammer rail.  Professional technicians use a rod to hold them back while being removed and replaced in the piano, but for your purposes a cord can be strung from one action bracket to the other, through the bracket(s) in between, and the stickers can be held away from the keys that way.  Not as good as the rod, but it works, I have had to do it.

As for the damper spring, if you don't have one you can get a repair damper spring from a piano technician, they are cheap.  Good luck!

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

William Rowland

PLEASE NOTE! I do NOT give values of pianos OR dates! The piano service questions I can cover include general information about piano tuning: how often should a piano be tuned, what if a piano has been neglected, what is a pitch raise, how long does it take, how much should I expect to pay for service, and so forth. I can also provide information about common repairs and adjustments, such as keys that don't work, those that continue to sound after you have let off the key, how important is the regulation, can I change the tone of my piano, how can I get the keytops repaired/replaced, and so on. I DO NOT provide resale values of instruments for two reasons: first, a technician has to physically check out a unit in order to appraise its value accurately, and second, values vary widely from one part of the country to another. I also do not offer advice as to care of the piano case, as that is better left to woodworkers and cabinet makers. I also DO NOT provide information about the age of a piano, that info can be accessed at http://www.pianoatlas.com.

I have been a piano tuner/technician in the Midwestern USA since 1974, working with customers and music stores to provide service to their pianos. I do tuning and repairs and provide free estimates on my services and have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.

Empire School of Piano Technology, 1973, Apprenticeship at Century Keyboards, Joplin, MO. Also I earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science at Missouri Southern State University in 1990.