Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Haines Brothers Baby Grand Player Piano

Player piano haines
Player piano haines  
QUESTION: I have a Haines Brothers baby grand player piano.

Haines Brothers
Ampico player piano
Serial number 74391

I would like to know the value of this.

ANSWER: Hi Rachel:

The piano was made in 1926.

With the market for players as it is, the player part lends no value to the piano.

As I can't inspect the piano from here, I will assume the piano is in "original" condition with no major work having been performed.

If the piano is viable (serviceable), perhaps 2,000.00.

Are you looking to sell it?, restore it?, etc...

QUESTION: It is in original condition. Air tubes are all deteriorated, but otherwise, excellent sound. Soundboard is completely intact. How much to restore one, then sell?

Hi Rachel:

In my opinion, one should never "speculate" with pianos.

The restoration process should return more money that is invested and the Haines piano will not do that.

For every dollar you sink into this piano it will return about a quarter at best.

The market for a player Haines isn't soft, it isn't there.

But to answer your question, the restoration of the player by a qualified player technician would be around 10,000.00, and the complete restoration of the piano portion around 25,000.00.

That's 35,000.00 for which you would realize about 12,000.00...MAYBE in a sale.

If you are not using the piano, sell it as is and stop now.

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti

I am a Registered/tested member of the Piano Technicians Guild (RPT) with 49 years of experience in all phases and levels of the acoustic piano. I will answer any questions regarding acoustic pianos only. All questions and answers are to remain public. Please to not include sensitive material! If they are marked private, I will change them to public. My answers may be of assistance to others. If privacy is an issue, please contact me through my web site: Electronic keyboards, organs, and player/reproducing piano mechanisms are outside of my expertise. Anything to do with: Construction, Service, Tuning, Climate Control Systems, Piano Disc, Purchasing, Selling, Insurance Appraisal, Rebuilding, Repairs, Legal issues, Maintenance, Environmental issues, Finish issues with acoustic pianos. My full resume can be found at: You can like us on Facebook at:

In business since 1964, Extensive Rebuilding/Repair/Service facility. A certified, tested, member of the Piano Technicians Guild, Member of the Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. Have performed piano service on Concert Stage, Recording Studios, and in the home. Http:// The shop's work comes from all over the world from private clients or other techncians.

The Piano Technicians Guild, Master Piano Technicians of America, Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. (TASA), IAPBT. The Piano Technicians Guild is the only organization in the US that offers a certification test to become Registered. There are no "factory authorized techncians".

The Piano Technicians Journal

Attented Temple University, Drexel University, Philadelphia Community college all in the areas of engineering and Music. I taught a two semester course in Piano Technology and the related acoustical physics at Temple University. I have taught extensively for the Piano Technicians Guild and the Master Piano Technicians of America.

Service Award for the Rose Tree Media School District in Pennsylvania. Chapter Award from the Philadelphia Chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild.

The list is rather extensive. I would suggest you go where there is a comprehensive list of clients past and present.