Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/New piano to me, but questions

Question
I just "inherited" a used piano.  I was told it was a baby grand, but when I picked it up, I could tell that it was smaller than the average baby grand piano.  The piano is made by Lester. 25237 is a number stamped on the underside of the piano.  My question(s) for you...How do I go about measuring a piano to tell the size (from what end to what end)?  Is there a way to tell what year this piano was made?  How am I able to tell what the keys are made of so I can safely clean them?  Lastly, (not that I'm interested in selling this, but) approximately how much would a piano like this be worth?

Answer
Hi Jennifer:

Ok...question by question:

Size: Measure from the very front end of the piano (where the furniture stops at the key end) to the back of the piano (lid closed to the furthest edge of the lid.

Year the piano was made: 1902 in Lester Pennsylvania just out side Philadelphia.

Keys...if not replaced, they are ivory. Plastic wasn't invented yet. Cleaning ivory is especially difficult as they are bone and very porous. We do it here in the shop by literally scraping off a bit of the ivory, exposing "fresh" ivory underneath. For you, almost impossible to get them back to "white".

To "clean them" use a dilute solution of bleach and water. Wipe thoroughly without soaking!!!!!

Let the solutions stand then wipe clean with a clean damp cloth. This won't get them white, but it will "clean" them.

Even "clorox" wipes would do.

The piano's worth, I'm afraid, is all but gone by now.

I hope that helped.

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti