Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Value of refurbishing & keeping piano

Question
I have an upright Monarch,made in Chicago , Serial # 48406, Mfg. Feb 1908.  We played it as young women in elementary school and a bit in junior high/high school.  It was found to have been
"stored" in my father's workshop.No climate control. The back exposed to a window that at some point was broken. The keys are intact with exception of some in need to be re-glued.  The sound is still there, although, tuning is obviously a dire need & I did not look inside the back. I'm sure all pads and possibly some wires require replacement. The question is whether the cost of getting it back to playing state is worth my sentimental journey!

Answer
Dear B.A. Wheeler,

You should have a tuner-technician visually evaluate your instrument. Usually I don't recommend upright pianos that are 100 years old be restored but since this instrument has sentimental value, it might be worth it to you. You can get a referral for a technician in your area from the Piano Technicians Guild (www.ptg.org) if you don't already have one. If you are sure that the hammers need be replaced (as opposed to reshaped), you are looking at an expense that can run around $1000 and up. Restringing can cost double that. Of course, you would need to get an accurate estimate from a technician who sees what the piano actually needs.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.

Sam Noel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel