Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Cost of a Howard Paino in 1925

QUESTION: I inherited my grandmothers Howard player piano that was manufactured in 1925.  Do you have any idea what my grandparents might have paid for a Howard player piano in 1925.

ANSWER: Hi Neal:

First, the configuration is important...upright, grand.

Then the system would be next...pump pedals, pump motor.

However, I'll guess somewhere around 800.00.

You can get real expert advice on this at the AMICA site. That's the Automatic Musical Instrument Collectors Association.  Those folks, being collectors, are all about this area.

I hope that helped!

QUESTION: It is an upright with pump pedals.  That that keep the original price as about $800.

Thanks!  This is wonderful information to have.

ANSWER: Hi Neal:

I think so.

I know you didn't ask...but just in case with regard to present value:

I'll just have to assume that the piano and its inner workings are in original condition.

That means there are possible issues with the piano part itself, and definite issues with the player mechanism. As the years go by, the player parts...tubes, valves, etc. just dry out.

To rebuild that piano would cost ten times what it would be worth when the project was finished, and the market for pneumatic players is all but gone.

There has to be someone out the that just has to have that piano, or at least the player parts for a project of their own.

I hope that helped.

QUESTION: I haven't thought too much about the current value just because of the sentimental value for our family.  The inner workings of the piano are in good share.  It holds a tune and I have done miner things to keep it in tip top shape.  The player part doesn't work and hasn't for 50 years +.  

I have thought of having it repaired but more for my enjoyment than increasing the value.  I might have it done at some point if I could find someone in my area (Utah)who I could trust to do a good job.

Thanks again.

Hi Neal...

If you were my client, I would try to discourage you from putting money into the piano.

The only time we take on a project that is not cost effective is when the client tells me it has been in the family forever, it has to remain in the family, and money is no object.

Be careful here. Don't listen to anyone who says the piano will be worth big bucks after you spend big bucks!!!!

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti

I am a Registered/tested member of the Piano Technicians Guild (RPT) with 49 years of experience in all phases and levels of the acoustic piano. I will answer any questions regarding acoustic pianos only. All questions and answers are to remain public. Please to not include sensitive material! If they are marked private, I will change them to public. My answers may be of assistance to others. If privacy is an issue, please contact me through my web site: http://www.onestipiano.com Electronic keyboards, organs, and player/reproducing piano mechanisms are outside of my expertise. Anything to do with: Construction, Service, Tuning, Climate Control Systems, Piano Disc, Purchasing, Selling, Insurance Appraisal, Rebuilding, Repairs, Legal issues, Maintenance, Environmental issues, Finish issues with acoustic pianos. My full resume can be found at: http://onestipiano.com/pages/history.html You can like us on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/onestipianoservice

In business since 1964, Extensive Rebuilding/Repair/Service facility. A certified, tested, member of the Piano Technicians Guild, Member of the Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. Have performed piano service on Concert Stage, Recording Studios, and in the home. Http://www.onestipiano.com. The shop's work comes from all over the world from private clients or other techncians.

The Piano Technicians Guild, Master Piano Technicians of America, Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. (TASA), IAPBT. The Piano Technicians Guild is the only organization in the US that offers a certification test to become Registered. There are no "factory authorized techncians".

The Piano Technicians Journal

Attented Temple University, Drexel University, Philadelphia Community college all in the areas of engineering and Music. I taught a two semester course in Piano Technology and the related acoustical physics at Temple University. I have taught extensively for the Piano Technicians Guild and the Master Piano Technicians of America.

Service Award for the Rose Tree Media School District in Pennsylvania. Chapter Award from the Philadelphia Chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild.

The list is rather extensive. I would suggest you go http://onestipiano.com/pages/testimonials.html where there is a comprehensive list of clients past and present.