Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Howard Cabinet Grand

Serial number
Serial number  
I have a Howard Cabinet Grand.  I believe the serial number is 5729, which is the number stamped on the metal frame inside.  The piano is dusty, and some of the wood is worn and has dings, but all the parts are there, the keyboard is intact, all the keys and hammers work, but it sounds like it needs tuning, maybe new strings.  I believe it has the original bench.  How old is it, and how much is it worth?  How much is it worth restored and how much would it cost to restore it?

Hi Greg,

Your Howard upright, a Baldwin product, was manufactured between 1895 and 1900 according the Pierce Piano Atlas. I can't really answer your questions without visually inspecting the instrument and assessing the actual condition of its 12,000 parts. In general, pianos of this vintage had a life expectancy of about 100 years. Most dealers in my area would assign a $0 value for similar instruments because they are well past their practical lifespans. A private seller can sometimes fetch a few hundred dollars if the piano is functional. Generally, it is very expensive to restore these pianos and should be done only for sentimental reasons (i.e. family heirloom). You can easily spend thousands and have the piano worth only half of what you paid.

Have a technician look over your piano and provide you with a more accurate estimate based on an actual visual inspection. If you need a referral, contact the Piano Technicians Guild (www.ptg.org). Good luck.

Sam Noel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel

I am a contracted piano technician for Steinway and Sons in New York handling warranty issues, prepping pianos for the showroom and delivery; I also serve the City University of NY as a piano technician. I am also self-employed in New York. I apprenticed (Manhattan School of Music)in 1982 and was factory (Steinway) trained in 1983. I have experience tuning, repairing, reconditioning, and appraisals. Please note that appraising an instrument involves a visual inspection and knowledge of the local market area. I am not an expert in player mechanisms, refinishing, electronic keyboards, midi, nor organs. I love the work of making an instrument sound concert quality.

I successfully apprenticed at the Manhattan School of Music under Alan Buchman and Peter Favant in 1982 (also received B.A. in music from same school) and employed by Steinway and Sons in 1983 as a tuner-technician. I also served as service manager for Steinway. Presently, I service pianos for CUNY and I handle warranty issues and tunings for Steinway.

The Piano Technicians Guild, New York Chapter

Manhattan School of Music, BA; American Management Association certificate (Steinway and Sons); Queens College, CUNY, MA