Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Purchasing a Yamaha M2

QUESTION: I just purchased a Yamaha M2, serial #951347. I have been trying to find information on it, but there doesn't seem to be much.  I paid $2400 for it and I feel like I may have paid too much.  I was told that it was made in the mid-70's.  Did I overspend?

ANSWER: The Yamaha is a fine piano.  Having said that, the price you paid was more than it would sell for here in Oklahoma, and probably at the top of the retail in most other places.  According to the serial number it was made in 1969, and that is not all that old for a piano.

QUESTION: Thank you.  I live in Los Angeles.  I was given a 10 warranty--parts and labor included.  What kind of tone can I expect and will it last another 40 years?  Wha level student would you recommend to buy the M2?

I would not hesitate to offer a ten-year warranty on that piano, because as I stated before it is a quality unit.  The warranty does justify the premium price to some extent, as does your location, so not to be concerned too much about what you paid.  That piano will likely still be around with good tone for a couple of generations, and is appropriate for upper level students (the highest level students would be worthy of a good grand, however).  Good luck!

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

William Rowland

PLEASE NOTE! I do NOT give values of pianos OR dates! The piano service questions I can cover include general information about piano tuning: how often should a piano be tuned, what if a piano has been neglected, what is a pitch raise, how long does it take, how much should I expect to pay for service, and so forth. I can also provide information about common repairs and adjustments, such as keys that don't work, those that continue to sound after you have let off the key, how important is the regulation, can I change the tone of my piano, how can I get the keytops repaired/replaced, and so on. I DO NOT provide resale values of instruments for two reasons: first, a technician has to physically check out a unit in order to appraise its value accurately, and second, values vary widely from one part of the country to another. I also do not offer advice as to care of the piano case, as that is better left to woodworkers and cabinet makers. I also DO NOT provide information about the age of a piano, that info can be accessed at http://www.pianoatlas.com.

I have been a piano tuner/technician in the Midwestern USA since 1974, working with customers and music stores to provide service to their pianos. I do tuning and repairs and provide free estimates on my services and have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.

Empire School of Piano Technology, 1973, Apprenticeship at Century Keyboards, Joplin, MO. Also I earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science at Missouri Southern State University in 1990.