Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Keyboards

I want to learn how to play the piano and I was thinking about buying a used keyboard. Can you give me advice as to what keyboards and what features on keyboards I should be looking for? I am completely new to pianos and keyboards, but I love them and the music and I want to begin learning how to play them asap. Anything information would be great. Also, my price range has a max of about $150 if that helps. Thanks you.

With a keyboard, I'd suggest that it have 88 keys and have pedals.  My opinion is that it should be as much like a regular piano as possible.  I'm not real adept at keyboards, but I'd stay away from those that have maybe two or more octaves.  Keyboards can be good.  A genuine keyboard (not some little one) sounds like a piano and has lots of features.  I enjoy the music of Theo Bishop and Gregg Karukas and they both use keyboards. (They also play electric pianos).  Keyboards are portable, so they can be easily moved from place to place.  I can't advise you much on price, but quality is what you're looking for most.  Does it have good sound?  Do the keys have good touch?  The bottom line is, does the keyboard meet your needs as a player?  You can program music and backgrounds with some keyboards.  The features depend on what you want it to do.  Good luck!  Joel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Joel Bjorling

I can answer general questions about playing the piano, playing technique, and piano literature.

I have played piano for over forty years. I have taught private piano. I have also played in church. I am especially interested in the piano as a music ministry. I have also written several compositions for piano.

I'm a past member of the National Guild of Piano Teachers.

Making Music Magazine Newsletter of the Illinois Country Music Association

BA, Behavioral Science, Oral Roberts University (1975) MA, McCormick Theological Seminary (1980) I have had courses in Music Appreciation, Music Theory, and in Hymnology