Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Advise on Monarch Piano

Question
We rescued a piano - Monarch upright (54" tall / 27" from back to front of Keyboard). Serial #74290. Previous owner was going to haul to a burn pile. The piano plays wonderful and has minor scuffs but in overall "Good Condition" we moved it from Minnesota to Western SD and now sits in our garage.
Questions: How old is it?
Do you have any idea how much it weighs?
What would you do to make the exterior look like the jewel that it is?

Answer
Hi Tom,

Your Monarch upright was manufactured in 1913. Monarch was a Baldwin Piano Company product and was discontinued in 1924. Full uprights can weigh between 600 and 700 pounds.

Refinishing is an expensive proposition costing between $3000-$4000 in many cases. The value of the instrument after the work is done will be only a fraction of what you paid, so this will not be a financial investment, only a sentimental one. I am not a finisher so I can't advise you on how to do the work yourself. You may want to ask a volunteer with expertise in this field.

Your tuner-technician can best advise you on your next steps (i.e. referral for a finisher) after servicing and assessing the condition of the instrument. If you need a referral, contact the Piano Technicians Guild (www.ptg.org). Good luck.

Sam Noel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel