Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Grand Cabinet, Willis Montreal

Hi Joel
I am just inquiring as to the age and worth of my great Grandmothers piano?  On the inside cover it shows, Willis & Co, Montreal, and a number of 7202 engraved in an indented oval into the wood.  I cant find any other # other than that.  It is in very good condition and had been tuned over the years as the kids took piano lessons.  It has claw like carved legs with some carvings on the body. I would appreciate hearing from you.

I couldn't find much on the Willis Piano Company, except that it was founded in 1884 and closed in 1979.  Considering when the company was founded, it could be an old piano.  I could not
find any comparable prices, nor any serial number in the Bluebook of Pianos. If it's in mint condition, it could be worth a lot.  The value will depend on things like the condition of the soundblock (under the keyboard) and the condition of the strings.  With my grandmother's piano (a 1931, Baby Grand, Lyon and Healy, the soundblock was cracked and the strings were discolored which made it hard to hold a tune. Has it been played? It'd be advisable to  check with a piano technician.

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Joel Bjorling

I can answer general questions about playing the piano, playing technique, and piano literature.

I have played piano for over forty years. I have taught private piano. I have also played in church. I am especially interested in the piano as a music ministry. I have also written several compositions for piano.

I'm a past member of the National Guild of Piano Teachers.

Making Music Magazine Newsletter of the Illinois Country Music Association

BA, Behavioral Science, Oral Roberts University (1975) MA, McCormick Theological Seminary (1980) I have had courses in Music Appreciation, Music Theory, and in Hymnology