Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/walworth mfg piano

we have a Walworth mfg piano, made in ny, it has more writing on the inside the I can make out Hillsboro, ill. april 29, 1939,what would be the value of this piano, it is still in excellent shape and still playable, also still have the bench that goes with it

Googling "walworth manufacturing Hillsboro, Illinois" yielded irrelevant information.

Googling "walworth manufacturing New York" yielded the history of a company with no reference to pianos.

If you do a more thorough investigation inside the piano, particularly on the whole iron plate (frame behind the strings) you may find more specific information.  It is rare not to find an embossed name in the upper right corner inside the piano, and long number stamped or printed close by toward the center of the piano.

The evidence you present suggests a stencil piano built by an undisclosed manufacturer and stamped by a fictitious name.

The value of a piano is the result of local or on-line advertising and what an interested party is willing to pay if it meets their practice, decorative, or performance needs. Be sure to present images of the keys, the case (wooden cabinet), and the inner action (working parts of the piano).

I have talked to many people who can't give away their pianos, especially if they are not one of the prominent names in the industry.  

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Robert James Seeley

I enjoy historical research at the site: mbsi.org for articles in the Music Trade Review, 1880 forward, supplemented by other on-line searches.

After several months of research, I have compiled a multi-chapter history of the Adam Schaaf piano ( mine is No. 58,265) back to the 1860s. In the last week I have compiled a 6-page brochure for the owner of a Compton-Price/Boston Piano Co. upright (No.13,630). I can provide samples of my desk-top publishing skills from these documents, and I would like to share them in entirety with anyone interested. The visual impact of research is important. I am passionate about giving these surviving, obscure instruments the respect they deserve, as well as the people who made them. My piano technician encourages me to submit them to the Piano Technicians Guild in Kansas City.

DMA, Doctorate in Musical Arts, 1980, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary; MM, 1969; BM, 1967; both from North Texas State University. I have spent the first full year of my retirement from 44 years of college teaching (Music, English, German) on these and other on-line research projects.