Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Age of Baldwin Hamilton Studio Piano

Question
Hamilton Studio Inside
Hamilton Studio Inside  
Hamilton Studio
Hamilton Studio  
QUESTION: I am looking at a Baldwin Hamilton studio piano (Hamilton is on the fallboard - dealer says it is made by Baldwin), s/n 196997. I'd like to know the mfg year, but the lists are a little confusing. Dealer - well the girl I dealt with that day - says 72-73, but I'm thinking 61-62. What is your opinion? it's in very good condition inside and plays well.

ANSWER: Hi Pam:

My listing shows 1972.

How much are they asking?

Have you had it looked at by a registered technician. That would be my first move.

If the dealer balks and that...leave.

You can go to http://www.ptg.org, plug in your zip code and get a list of registered techs.

Make an appointment to have them check this out for you.

Let me know how you do.

QUESTION: They want $900. The owner of the business is a rpt - he's ver good, but I wanted another opinion on the age because he wasn't available  and I dealt with the girls in the office. I wasn't sure they looked it up properly but it matches what your list is showing. Thank you so much for the information and your quick reply! I'm a piano teacher in Georgia (this is for a second location in a church where I teach one day a week - I have a Chickering baby grand at home), but I have piano teacher friends all over, so maybe one of them will come see you...I liked your FB page. Have a great weekend, Pam

ANSWER: Hi Pam:

So...you know he's and RPT because you looked him up on the web right?!

900.00 is not out of the question!!!

Let me know how you are progressing.

Thanks for the FB like!

QUESTION: I spoke with the rpt - yes, he is legit and listed on the website - and he confirmed it is a 61 mfg date - the girls got it wrong. I felt that it was a 61 as well...which is fine with me, it's in excellent shape. You have to look under Hamilton for prior to 84. The "19..." serial numbers for Baldwin are mostly grands made in the 70s. I'm going to buy the piano for $900 - that includes tuning, delivery, and minor repair to the bench (needs a hinge). Thanks for your time!

Answer
Hi Pam:

There is a difference and you probably have it right.

I missed that it had "Hamilton" on the fallboard.

Usually, when someone says "Baldwin Hamilton" the Hamilton is in small print on the side and Baldwin is on the fallboard.

Obviously this is not a Baldwin Hamilton but a Hamilton which was controlled by Baldwin.

And in that case, yes, 1961 is the correct date.

For delivery, tuning and the paino, 900.00 is a good price.

Enjoy your new acquisistion, have fun, play!

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti