Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/age of piano?

Question
We have a Newcombe (Toronto) upright piano - serial no. 14476.  My father rescued it in the early 1970s from a hippie house where it had been covered in psychedelic graffiti paint.  He had it professionally restored and tuned.  Unfortunately, no one in our family ever found the time to learn to play it (except me - I taught myself a few tunes by ear).  I received it from my mother when she moved away in the 1990s, but still no one in my family played it much.  It has now been sitting in our basement for 17 years.  We had it professionally tuned a couple of years ago, but no one has played it and it has not been moved.  Other than that, it is in excellent condition and has ivory keys (slightly yellow with age).  It also has the original ornate stool.  I would just like to know what value it may have, as we are moving a long distance away and cannot bring it with us.  Your input is appreciated.  Thank you.

Answer
Although it plays, it probably isn't all that playable to an experienced pianist.  It may be of value to someone for decorative purposes.

You can check bluebookofpianos.com or pierces piano atlas (for a fee on-line) to learn its age according to its serial number, if it is listed.

You could also search the Music Trade Review (mostly American pianos) at mbsi.org, "search the indexes" to learn more about its history.

Basements in cold climates can be damp, which is detrimental to the piano's woods and metals.

Your best chance to turn your piano into money is to post it on line with pictures of the keys, the case, and the inside workings (action).If it has ivory keys, it is old.  If you can also post a short video clip demonstrating its sound and responsiveness to a skilled player, that could draw attention.

Since you must leave it and have nothing invested, you may only find someone to remove it at their expense.

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Robert James Seeley