Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/age of piano

Hi, we just purchased a Mendelssohn piano. Its in beautiful shape, but will need a tuning soon. The only numbers i can find on it, to verify age...is one # on the top center of harp...its 8543...the other & only number is on the inside upper right side board of its housing...3459...could you maybe tell me approximate age? All ive read says this brand is low end, hopefully it will be tuneable, & not have loose tuning pins...thanks for your help

Hi Angie,

There are two manufacturers using the same "Mendelssohn" name. If your piano was made in Toronto, Canada, it was manufactured between 1910 and 1915. if your piano was made in Pennsylvania, the instrument was manufactured in 1901. I hope this is helpful.

Sam Noel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel

I am a contracted piano technician for Steinway and Sons in New York handling warranty issues, prepping pianos for the showroom and delivery; I also serve the City University of NY as a piano technician. I am also self-employed in New York. I apprenticed (Manhattan School of Music)in 1982 and was factory (Steinway) trained in 1983. I have experience tuning, repairing, reconditioning, and appraisals. Please note that appraising an instrument involves a visual inspection and knowledge of the local market area. I am not an expert in player mechanisms, refinishing, electronic keyboards, midi, nor organs. I love the work of making an instrument sound concert quality.

I successfully apprenticed at the Manhattan School of Music under Alan Buchman and Peter Favant in 1982 (also received B.A. in music from same school) and employed by Steinway and Sons in 1983 as a tuner-technician. I also served as service manager for Steinway. Presently, I service pianos for CUNY and I handle warranty issues and tunings for Steinway.

The Piano Technicians Guild, New York Chapter

Manhattan School of Music, BA; American Management Association certificate (Steinway and Sons); Queens College, CUNY, MA