Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/W. P. Haines Piano age and other information

Question
W P Haines spinet - wood
W P Haines spinet - wo  
W P Haines spinet
W P Haines spinet  
QUESTION: Hi Ralph,

I am looking to sell my W. P. Haines spinet piano.  It has a serial number of 106015, which I located on the back upper left hand embossed into the wood.  Could you help me identify the age and the type of wood it is made of?  Attached is a photo. Also, not sure how to appraise its value.  I had it tuned abut 6 years ago.  If you have any tips that would be great.

Maria

ANSWER: Hi Maria:

Whey you say "type of wood" I assume you mean the outside covering or veneer...and from the pictures...and it's a bit tough...I might venture a guess at cherry...a little hard to see here.

The piano was made in 1932.

This piano is either a "spinet" (drop action) or a console. I would know better if I could see the inside.

A spinet has the action dropped below the back of the key, and a console action sits atop the keys.

This would make a  minor difference in the selling price.

But as a starting point...think 900.00 for the spinet and 1200.00 for a console if it's in really good condition.

If you want to open it up and take a picture of the action and send it along I'll identify it for you!

Inside piano 1
Inside piano 1  
Inside piano 2
Inside piano 2  
QUESTION: Hi Ralph,

Thank you for the confirmation of age and approximate value!  This is great information and I really do appreciate it.  I took the attached pictures of the inside to distinguish if it is a console or spinet piano.

Thanks for you help!

Maria

ANSWER: Hi Maria:

I can't quite determine if the action is above or below the keys.

In looking at the position of the hammers in relation to the actual key...I would guess console, but to be sure, you would have to reveal a little more.

If you can slide that panel that is in front of the hammers up and off the piano, and take a picture of the bottom of the action, I could be positive. I have to see the end of the key stick itself...I hope I'm making this clear.

Let see...the part that holds the music is called the music desk...that and the piece of furniture directly behind would have to come off. That would show the action assembly and whether it sits atop the key or sneaks down behind.

You may find that the part that slides up is screwed onto the music desk and that would have to come off first. Then, in all probability, the music desk would slide toward you and off.

I blew up the pictures as much as I could on here and I still think it's a console. But if you feel adventurous...take that baby apart a little more and get me that full, frontal action shot.

Is this fun or what?!

key action 1
key action 1  

key action 2
key action 2  
QUESTION: Ok, I did the adventurous thing this morning and how enlightening it was!   I have taken the following photos to determine if it is a console piano.  Thanks again for your help.

BTW, I have a couple other pieces of furniture that are cherry and as I was cleaning the piano, it does appear to be Cherry wood.  I wish there was a way to be definitive about it.  Are there wood specialists out there or is this not a significant factor when it comes to description or appraisal?

Maria

Answer
Hi Maria:

Nice work!!!!

Notice how the action and all of the workings sit atop the keys...this is a console.

I looked at the wood again...I think we're safe with "cherry".

And it doesn't change much with regard to the value.

Remember, what you see as cherry is only as thick as cardboard...veneer. The core wood is something else...usually poplar.

Now...wasn't that fun?!

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti