Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Age of Upright Klein Piano of New York

Klein piano photo 1
Klein piano photo 1  

Klein piano photo 2
Klein piano photo 2  
I have an upright piano that has a logo "Klein Piano Co." and "New York."  The serial number is 172089.  

On the metal board where the patent numbers are is also the slogan "Warranted for life."  There are two pedals.

Is there any way to determine the age of this piano?  Thank you.

Hi Cherie:

Unfortunately, the Klein company of New York was small and short lived. They made pianos under half dozen names: Marth Washington, Roth, Strathy, none of which kept records of their serial numbers under any of the names.

By the looks of the piano, I'm thinking 1930's or 40's

And to be quite frank, sometimes small "manuactureres" (retailers) bought pianos from larger manufacturers, who would put the any name on the plate as long as you purchased so many units.

Happy Holidays...  

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti

I am a Registered/tested member of the Piano Technicians Guild (RPT) with 49 years of experience in all phases and levels of the acoustic piano. I will answer any questions regarding acoustic pianos only. All questions and answers are to remain public. Please to not include sensitive material! If they are marked private, I will change them to public. My answers may be of assistance to others. If privacy is an issue, please contact me through my web site: Electronic keyboards, organs, and player/reproducing piano mechanisms are outside of my expertise. Anything to do with: Construction, Service, Tuning, Climate Control Systems, Piano Disc, Purchasing, Selling, Insurance Appraisal, Rebuilding, Repairs, Legal issues, Maintenance, Environmental issues, Finish issues with acoustic pianos. My full resume can be found at: You can like us on Facebook at:

In business since 1964, Extensive Rebuilding/Repair/Service facility. A certified, tested, member of the Piano Technicians Guild, Member of the Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. Have performed piano service on Concert Stage, Recording Studios, and in the home. Http:// The shop's work comes from all over the world from private clients or other techncians.

The Piano Technicians Guild, Master Piano Technicians of America, Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. (TASA), IAPBT. The Piano Technicians Guild is the only organization in the US that offers a certification test to become Registered. There are no "factory authorized techncians".

The Piano Technicians Journal

Attented Temple University, Drexel University, Philadelphia Community college all in the areas of engineering and Music. I taught a two semester course in Piano Technology and the related acoustical physics at Temple University. I have taught extensively for the Piano Technicians Guild and the Master Piano Technicians of America.

Service Award for the Rose Tree Media School District in Pennsylvania. Chapter Award from the Philadelphia Chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild.

The list is rather extensive. I would suggest you go where there is a comprehensive list of clients past and present.