Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Kawai Piano

My mom is moving into assisted living and I am cleaning out her apt.
She has a Kawai upright piano, I would say it's between 25 and 30 years old. It still looks great and a neighbor of moms, who plays, was on it the other day and said it sounds great and didn't think it even needed tuning.
I have no idea what it is worth and any help you could provide with that would be greatly appreciated. We live in the lower Hudson valley area of NY.

Gene C.

Hi Gene,

The value of the instrument will depend on the actual condition of its 12,000 parts. Dealers in the NY Metropolitan area are asking up to $4000 for similar pianos in showroom condition. A private seller can usually expect to fetch about half of that depending on the condition. Your best bet is to contact a qualified piano tuner-technician who can evaluate the condition and appraise the fair market value of the piano. You can get a referral from the Piano Technicians Guild (www.ptg.org). If time is a factor, you can contact local dealers who might either buy it from you or sell it on consignment. Dealers tend to offer below wholesale prices as they must make a profit but it is a quick way to sell an instrument and avoid setting up appointments with interested potential buyers. Faust Harrison, Beethoven Pianos, Allegro Pianos, Frank & Camille, etc. are some dealers that serve the lower Hudson Valley. Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Sam Noel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel

I am a contracted piano technician for Steinway and Sons in New York handling warranty issues, prepping pianos for the showroom and delivery; I also serve the City University of NY as a piano technician. I am also self-employed in New York. I apprenticed (Manhattan School of Music)in 1982 and was factory (Steinway) trained in 1983. I have experience tuning, repairing, reconditioning, and appraisals. Please note that appraising an instrument involves a visual inspection and knowledge of the local market area. I am not an expert in player mechanisms, refinishing, electronic keyboards, midi, nor organs. I love the work of making an instrument sound concert quality.

I successfully apprenticed at the Manhattan School of Music under Alan Buchman and Peter Favant in 1982 (also received B.A. in music from same school) and employed by Steinway and Sons in 1983 as a tuner-technician. I also served as service manager for Steinway. Presently, I service pianos for CUNY and I handle warranty issues and tunings for Steinway.

The Piano Technicians Guild, New York Chapter

Manhattan School of Music, BA; American Management Association certificate (Steinway and Sons); Queens College, CUNY, MA