Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/pedal on piano

I have a spinet piano and am concerned about the pedal on the right, the one that is sustaining and controls loudness. Often, my foot slips off the pedal, but, too, I apply the pedal and it doesn't seem to work.  Sometimes I hear a little groan in it.  What could it be?  The piano is played regularly, but it is over 50 years old.  Thanks, Joel

Hi Joel,

It sounds like the pedal hardware inside the piano is no longer secured to the frame. The most common causes are stripped screws or broken anchors (especially if they are made of plastic). If the bottom panel is removed, you should be able to see the trapwork that holds the pedals.

The noises you hear and the lack of functionality are consistent with the above. Have your technician examine the pedal trapwork and repair/replace as needed. I hope this helps.

Sam Noel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel

I am a contracted piano technician for Steinway and Sons in New York handling warranty issues, prepping pianos for the showroom and delivery; I also serve the City University of NY as a piano technician. I am also self-employed in New York. I apprenticed (Manhattan School of Music)in 1982 and was factory (Steinway) trained in 1983. I have experience tuning, repairing, reconditioning, and appraisals. Please note that appraising an instrument involves a visual inspection and knowledge of the local market area. I am not an expert in player mechanisms, refinishing, electronic keyboards, midi, nor organs. I love the work of making an instrument sound concert quality.

I successfully apprenticed at the Manhattan School of Music under Alan Buchman and Peter Favant in 1982 (also received B.A. in music from same school) and employed by Steinway and Sons in 1983 as a tuner-technician. I also served as service manager for Steinway. Presently, I service pianos for CUNY and I handle warranty issues and tunings for Steinway.

The Piano Technicians Guild, New York Chapter

Manhattan School of Music, BA; American Management Association certificate (Steinway and Sons); Queens College, CUNY, MA