Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/pedal on piano

Question
I have a spinet piano and am concerned about the pedal on the right, the one that is sustaining and controls loudness. Often, my foot slips off the pedal, but, too, I apply the pedal and it doesn't seem to work.  Sometimes I hear a little groan in it.  What could it be?  The piano is played regularly, but it is over 50 years old.  Thanks, Joel

Answer
Hi Joel,

It sounds like the pedal hardware inside the piano is no longer secured to the frame. The most common causes are stripped screws or broken anchors (especially if they are made of plastic). If the bottom panel is removed, you should be able to see the trapwork that holds the pedals.

The noises you hear and the lack of functionality are consistent with the above. Have your technician examine the pedal trapwork and repair/replace as needed. I hope this helps.

Sam Noel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel