Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/H & A Selmrr / French & Sons Piano

I was recently acquired this piano and know It seems to be fairly old but in good condition.  Unfortunately,  I have had no luck finding  info on it.   it is a console style,It says Jesse French & Sons but on the inside it says H.& A. Selmar Inc. The serial # A In the upper right corner and # is 190377. I know Selmar joined with French in 1902 to 1954.

Hi Marlene,

Your piano was manufactured in 1949. At the time of production, Jesse French was a division of Selmer. It was later sold to another company, the Starck Piano Company in 1955. Selmer controlled Jesse French from the late 1930s to the early 1940s.

Sam Noel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel

I am a contracted piano technician for Steinway and Sons in New York handling warranty issues, prepping pianos for the showroom and delivery; I also serve the City University of NY as a piano technician. I am also self-employed in New York. I apprenticed (Manhattan School of Music)in 1982 and was factory (Steinway) trained in 1983. I have experience tuning, repairing, reconditioning, and appraisals. Please note that appraising an instrument involves a visual inspection and knowledge of the local market area. I am not an expert in player mechanisms, refinishing, electronic keyboards, midi, nor organs. I love the work of making an instrument sound concert quality.

I successfully apprenticed at the Manhattan School of Music under Alan Buchman and Peter Favant in 1982 (also received B.A. in music from same school) and employed by Steinway and Sons in 1983 as a tuner-technician. I also served as service manager for Steinway. Presently, I service pianos for CUNY and I handle warranty issues and tunings for Steinway.

The Piano Technicians Guild, New York Chapter

Manhattan School of Music, BA; American Management Association certificate (Steinway and Sons); Queens College, CUNY, MA