Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Schiller Cabinet Grand

I have just acquired a Schiller Cabinet Grand (Schiller Piano Company, Oregon,Illinois; Ser # 24629). It's in poor shape and probably isn't worth restoring but I would like to know when it was made. Are such pianos used for parts in restorations? If no one wants it for that or to restore it then I will repurpose the wood for cabinetry. Thanks!

Hi James,

Your Schiller upright was manufactured in 1904 based on the serial number provided. Have a technician visually inspect the overall condition of the instrument before making a decision on restoration.

Generally speaking, pianos of that vintage lasted about 100 years and your piano is well past that point. On rare occasions, some pianos do hold up well but the value of most brands tend to be far lower than the cost of replacement parts. I rarely use old parts for repairs since they are usually too brittle or warped to make a professional repair.

I don't want to give last rites to your piano without visually seeing it, so again, have it looked at and see if the problems are minor. If so, it might be worth restoring it for sentimental value. But it will not be a financial investment so you should be clear about that. Good luck!

Sam Noel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel

I am a contracted piano technician for Steinway and Sons in New York handling warranty issues, prepping pianos for the showroom and delivery; I also serve the City University of NY as a piano technician. I am also self-employed in New York. I apprenticed (Manhattan School of Music)in 1982 and was factory (Steinway) trained in 1983. I have experience tuning, repairing, reconditioning, and appraisals. Please note that appraising an instrument involves a visual inspection and knowledge of the local market area. I am not an expert in player mechanisms, refinishing, electronic keyboards, midi, nor organs. I love the work of making an instrument sound concert quality.

I successfully apprenticed at the Manhattan School of Music under Alan Buchman and Peter Favant in 1982 (also received B.A. in music from same school) and employed by Steinway and Sons in 1983 as a tuner-technician. I also served as service manager for Steinway. Presently, I service pianos for CUNY and I handle warranty issues and tunings for Steinway.

The Piano Technicians Guild, New York Chapter

Manhattan School of Music, BA; American Management Association certificate (Steinway and Sons); Queens College, CUNY, MA