Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Piano Age & Insure Amount

Trying to find the year of a Steinway Upright Model No. 68130 and roughly what amount I should insure it for?

Hi Sally,

Your Steinway upright was manufactured in 1889 based on the serial number provided. As for the amount you should insure it for, a lot more information would be needed to appraise its value. That would require a visual inspection to ascertain the actual condition of its 12,000 parts, the model (e.g. "I," "V," "K," etc.), finish, size, local market in your area, etc.

If you are insuring for "replacement value," a brand-new Steinway 45' upright is $23,170 and prices range past $29,280 for a 52" depending on the wood and finish. You can obtain a price list at your local Steinway dealership

Have your piano appraised by a qualified technician. You can get a referral from Steinway (212-246-1100) or from the Piano Technicians Guild (www.ptg.org). Good luck.

Sam Noel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel

I am a contracted piano technician for Steinway and Sons in New York handling warranty issues, prepping pianos for the showroom and delivery; I also serve the City University of NY as a piano technician. I am also self-employed in New York. I apprenticed (Manhattan School of Music)in 1982 and was factory (Steinway) trained in 1983. I have experience tuning, repairing, reconditioning, and appraisals. Please note that appraising an instrument involves a visual inspection and knowledge of the local market area. I am not an expert in player mechanisms, refinishing, electronic keyboards, midi, nor organs. I love the work of making an instrument sound concert quality.

I successfully apprenticed at the Manhattan School of Music under Alan Buchman and Peter Favant in 1982 (also received B.A. in music from same school) and employed by Steinway and Sons in 1983 as a tuner-technician. I also served as service manager for Steinway. Presently, I service pianos for CUNY and I handle warranty issues and tunings for Steinway.

The Piano Technicians Guild, New York Chapter

Manhattan School of Music, BA; American Management Association certificate (Steinway and Sons); Queens College, CUNY, MA