Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Baldwin/Monarch Piano

Question
piano
piano  
I found this piano on craigslist in minnesota.  Here is what the ad says and here is the picture of the piano.  I'm just wondering if it is worth my time to bring it home and have it tuned.  I have a yamaha console, but I really want something with a larger sound board and harp.  This one is free (tis the season for free pianos in the mid west).  Thank you in advance for you opinion.  Kristine.  here's the ad notes:  Small upright Monarch Piano in excellent shape. All the keys andstrings in perfect shape. May need tuning. Free if you haul it out

Answer
Hi Kristine,

It would be very, very difficult to recommend the acquisition of a piano that is at least 72 years (and probably older) since the Monarch brand was discontinued in 1942. A larger piano can indeed produce a better sound than a console, but this doesn't sound like an upgrade.

Have the piano visually inspected by a technician to be sure of what you would be getting. You may be getting stuck with someone else's headaches. You can get a referral from the Piano Technicians Guild (www.ptg.org). Good luck.

Sam Noel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel