Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Info request on my inherited piano

Question
My Mother was a professional "Honky Tonk" (the same as Big Tiny Little of the old Lawrence Welk Show) piano player in clubs when I was a child. When she passed away, she left me her 3/4 size upright "house practice" piano. Finally, as a degreed music teacher & former professional musician myself; at age 70 I've run out of sources to find out anything about the piano and found this site by accident on Bing.

In searching thru the insides I've found the name Wickham stamped into the bottom portion of the plate, and next to that the numbers 56 1 17. In opening the pivoting front over the keyboard, I've found the number 200617 stamped into the plate just above the hammers. There's also a penciled-in date of 10-6-64 which I'll assume was the last date that Mom had the piano tuned. The piano plays beautifully. All components are in perfect shape & working order.

I'd love to know who the manufacturer was, the model if known, the approximate date of manufacture, and if it has any monetary value for insurance purposes. Its value to me is priceless.

Thanking you so much in advance for any info that you can provide.

Answer
Hi Charles,

There was no Wickham factory per se. This was a name used by the Winter Company in New York.

If we assume that is the case, your serial number puts the manufacturing date at: 1941.

The numbers: 56 1 17 more than likely is the factories "scale"  and series designation that has meaning for the factory only.

When you say "3/4" size upright, I assume it's around 48 inches high. That puts it a the "studio" console height.

And you are correct, the pencil is piano "tooners" graffiti because they were too lazy to keep their own records. I don't know what owner would look inside the piano to see when it was tuned last. I always discourage piano technicians to mark up someone else's property...how unprofessional...sorry...venting.

The value, since it is in great condition is around 850.00. Without looking, I think that's safe for a piano of that age and model.

You can list it with your insurance company, or let what they would give you under your normal home owner's insurance: 500.00,ride if there were a catastrophe.

You can have the piano serviced regularly by a registered member of the Piano Technicians Guild by going to http://www.ptg.org. There is a place for finding a technician there by state, or name, or better, zip code. A list of only REGISTERED technicians will pop up. Registered technicians are those that have taken and passed a series of tests to prove a level of technical competence.

Ok...I hope I've helped here. If I left anything out...get back to me.

And have fun with Mother's priceless piano...it certainly is!  

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti