Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Winter & Co. Spinet?

Please forgive me, I am piano illiterate and may use incorrect terms. There is a gold plate against the backboard of the piano when you raise the lid. The number on that plate (I'm assuming that is the serial number?) is 300351. I wanted to get an idea of how much repairs will cost as it has 7 keys that are "stuck". When we were polishing the piano the board underneath and on the front of the piano came off and we could see where the plastic part for each key was broken. I haven't been able to find anything online about that and am wondering if parts are even available for this piano? It was given to us a few years ago and I don't know much about it. It does only have 2 pedals.

Hi Sheree:

No apologies...I will help you through the terminology:

That "plate" is just that...the plate...some call it the harp.

The serial number shows your piano being made in 1952 before the final merge with Aeolian-American Corporation.

The plastic parts are gone...but other arrangements can be made by a clever technician. Your piano was made just when plastic was new and the recipe for plastic young. They plastic parts all dried out.

The seven keys that are sticking may very well be another plastic part problem. Are they stuck in the down position? If so, I suspect the lifter "elbows", cheap replaceable parts are available. The are generic.

Your two pedals: the one on the right would be the sustain that lift all the dampers, and the one on the left is more that likely the "soft" pedal.

It doesn't sound like there is a large repair bill here. I'm guessing a good, registered technician can probably repair the piano's ills in a couple hours and you will probably need two consecutive tunings to get it up and running and sounding like a piano, pretty much.

Go to http://www.ptg.org. There you will see a section that says: Locate a technician. Click on that and you will be prompted to enter you zip code, or state, etc.

A list of tested, certified members will pop up in your area. In your interview process for a technician, tell them you suspect some plastic elbow issues. In this way they will know to come equipped for the job. However, do no be surprised if they suggest changing all the elbows. If they are in "crumble and die" mode, you will pay much more on a service call to service call basis than to replace them all in one show.

At the time of the initial visit, and there should be an initial (one hour) visit, the tech can ascertain if the piano warrants going any further.

Let me know how you do. I you hear something from the tech you don't understand, get back to me.

I hope this helps!

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti

I am a Registered/tested member of the Piano Technicians Guild (RPT) with 49 years of experience in all phases and levels of the acoustic piano. I will answer any questions regarding acoustic pianos only. All questions and answers are to remain public. Please to not include sensitive material! If they are marked private, I will change them to public. My answers may be of assistance to others. If privacy is an issue, please contact me through my web site: http://www.onestipiano.com Electronic keyboards, organs, and player/reproducing piano mechanisms are outside of my expertise. Anything to do with: Construction, Service, Tuning, Climate Control Systems, Piano Disc, Purchasing, Selling, Insurance Appraisal, Rebuilding, Repairs, Legal issues, Maintenance, Environmental issues, Finish issues with acoustic pianos. My full resume can be found at: http://onestipiano.com/pages/history.html You can like us on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/onestipianoservice

In business since 1964, Extensive Rebuilding/Repair/Service facility. A certified, tested, member of the Piano Technicians Guild, Member of the Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. Have performed piano service on Concert Stage, Recording Studios, and in the home. Http://www.onestipiano.com. The shop's work comes from all over the world from private clients or other techncians.

The Piano Technicians Guild, Master Piano Technicians of America, Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. (TASA), IAPBT. The Piano Technicians Guild is the only organization in the US that offers a certification test to become Registered. There are no "factory authorized techncians".

The Piano Technicians Journal

Attented Temple University, Drexel University, Philadelphia Community college all in the areas of engineering and Music. I taught a two semester course in Piano Technology and the related acoustical physics at Temple University. I have taught extensively for the Piano Technicians Guild and the Master Piano Technicians of America.

Service Award for the Rose Tree Media School District in Pennsylvania. Chapter Award from the Philadelphia Chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild.

The list is rather extensive. I would suggest you go http://onestipiano.com/pages/testimonials.html where there is a comprehensive list of clients past and present.